dajamou

Where's the village?

Monday, August 29, 2011

Speed bumps

When I got back from Canada (where I was pretty faithful about doing Shiva Nata), I stopped. I didn't practice, didn't even really think about it much. And when I did, most of it was along the lines of "I don't feel like it right now. Maybe later." This went on for 3 weeks or so.

I'm trying this new thing of not beating myself up about stuff, while simultaneously staying present and noticing when I'm in these patterns. So I just kind of waited until it came back.

Interestingly enough, I started mentally flailing before I ever started moving my arms or using the DVD again. I would lie in bed and go through the Level 1 arm movements in my head at night.

A couple of days ago, I finally put the DVD in again. It was good to review the motions, but I realized that once I use the video to remind myself what the right motions are, I prefer to practice on my own. When the video's on, I follow along and don't try as hard to anticipate and learn the pattern of the movements. And when I'm doing it on my own, it's easier to change the style of motion too, like fast or slow, or smooth or crisp, or whatever.

So anyway, I'm back on the horse. And finding that it's coming more and more easily for me. Maybe I needed to let what I knew sink in for a bit. And I think that, once I practice a little more with the vertical arms, I'll be ready to start adding in the legs.

Yay, progress!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home