dajamou

Where's the village?

Monday, January 08, 2007

Back to the real world.

And a whirlwind holiday it was, with Christmas at Babbaloo's, a day and a half at home, then off to Portland to ring in the New Year. This time the Dajadaddy got to come too, for the first time since we moved to da Burgh almost three years ago. It was wonderful as usual to see everyone, and we ate at almost all of our favorite restaurants too.

And now we're back and I'm dealing with the post-vacation blues. Dajadaddy doesn't get it; he thinks that vacations should re-energize me, and send me back home with renewed zeal, vim and vigor, all that rot. And I suppose he's right; that's the way vacations should be. But how can I be happy to come home and leave a place where I was surrounded by friends and family, people I can really relax and talk to, children for the dajamou to play with...in what way is it good to go back to life without my village?

I'm not saying I hate it here, or that I'd want to extend our visit any longer than it was. It's tiring to live out of a bag, working your normal routine around someone else's, all three of us in a single room, hearing the creaks and pops of a house that's not ours. But there's also a period of adjustment when we get home. There's food to cook and dog hair to sweep and a girl who wants to play with me ALL THE TIME because suddenly there's nobody else. I've always prided myself on my adaptability to different routines, but it takes time, that's all.

So I'm feeling a bit gloomy and not liking how I look and finding the stocking-stuffer chocolate that I forgot to stuff in the stockings. All in all, it's going to be a while before I'm feeling perky again.

On the bright side, I have another appointment with my new doctor on Friday, where she tells me what she found out from my million blood tests. (OK, 15. But still.) And hopefully we can start to figure out what I need to change in my lifestyle in order to battle back the depression. So that's a forward step, and I'm clinging to the anticipation of it to get me through the post-vacation blues.

Blah blah blah, whine whine whine, it's my blog and I'll piss and moan if I want to.

the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home