dajamou

Where's the village?

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Ancient magic from the dawn of time

That's a chapter title from The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, but really what I'm thinking about tonight is more like ancient technology from the bottom of the sea. Reading this sent tingles up my spine:

The Antikythera mechanism has been discovered to be a mechanical computer of an accuracy thought impossible in 80 BC, when the ship that carried it sunk....Its wheels and gears create a portable orrery of the sky that predicted star and planet locations as well as lunar and solar eclipses.


And the thing that amuses me? NASA is drawing on Wikipedia as a research resource.

Sometimes, if I try really hard not to think about vanishing civil liberties, I can still feel like this is a pretty damn cool world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home