dajamou

Where's the village?

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Creation Myth by Dajamou.

So lately the dajamou has been asking me how God made the world. Now, we don't go to church much, and we don't really talk about it around the house. I think she's seen maybe a reference or two on PBS, but they're usually pretty light on the proselytizing. So I'm not sure where she got this, but in the spirit of unschooling or homeschooling or afterschooling or just plain old encouraging curiosity, I went out and got her a book from the library with all different kinds of creation myths. I figured I'd teach her that different people believe different things, and some people don't even believe in God, while some people think there are lots of Gods and Goddesses, etc. etc.

We read a few of the stories today and she seemed vaguely interested but not captivated or anything. But tonight before bedtime, she asked me a new Creation question:

"Mama, how do you make God?"

"Well honey, I don't think you can make God. You just either believe in him or you don't."

"I believe in God, Mommy."

"That's your choice, baby. But people don't get to make God. You just have to believe or not believe."

"Well, I believe that God can be made."

"OK, I guess it's true that you can believe that too."

"I'll tell you how to make God. First you take eggs."

(My eyes bug out of my head and I choke down a laugh.)
"Hang on, sweetie, I need to get a piece of paper to write this down."

"OK, Mama. First you take eggs. Add a little bit of salt to make God a little bit of sweet and sugary. So God tastes a little good. It's God, not a giant. (Ed. note: I think this is in reference to one of the Chinese creation myths we read today.) Now, you put in some wood. Now some sugar, and then some... sooooooooome... fabric! And then... a little bit more color and stuff. Now you have to put white paint on, and some red and some yellow and some green for his color. Green for his eyes and face, and then yellow for his body and nipples, (Ed. note: nearly lost it again here) green for his legs and feet and toes. Now, you need to put in some glass. Now some clay. And then some....a little more sugar to keep him sweet. And that's how sugar is made!"

"I thought we were making God."

"Oh. That's how we make God! That's how I believe we make God. God in his world is much bigger than our world. God lives in SPACE! God lives in space, and this is the end of my story."





I swear to all the Gods I've ever read about, believed in, or crafted from sugar and glass, that I did NOT spike her apple juice with LSD tonight. This is all pure dajamou.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to NaNoWriMo and NaBloPoMo! Or, as I was thinking I should call it, NaNaNoBloWriPoMoMo. Say that ten times fast without messing up, and I'll give you a lollipop.

1 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Blogger Michael J. Farrand said...

Great piece! Thought you might like to see what I've written on the Pelasgian creation myth (or the next one, known as a Philosophical one).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home